Hey Y’all! Christmas is only a few days away, and I felt inspired to do a mini video series where I’ll be sharing 3 Christmas recipes that you and your family can indulge in during this time.
If you’ve ever wanted to impress those family members who think anything healthy is suppose to taste like grass (we all have a few of those …. lol), then these 3 recipes are sure to win them over. They’ll be TEAM HEALTHY in no time! 😉
The first recipe in this mini Christmas series is my Paleo Sweet Potato Breakfast Casserole. And, let me tell you… it is FULL of flavor. Super savory!
Of course, it is Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free, Grain Free, and Paleo-friendly. It can also be made keto-friendly by simply eliminating the sweet potatoes.
This casserole would be perfect to serve on Christmas morning or at a holiday brunch. And, feel free to do all of the prep work the night beforehand if it’ll make your life a little easier.
Check out the video below to watch me make it…
- 2-3 Medium Sweet Potatoes
- 1 Tbsp Unrefined Coconut Oil, melted
- Sea Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 6 Slices of Uncured, Hormone-Free Bacon
- 1/2 of a Yellow Onion, chopped
- 1/2 C. Bell Pepper, chopped (any color)
- 1/2 lb Breakfast Sausage (see note below)
- 2 C. Curly Kale, de-stemmed & roughly chopped
- 11 Pasture-Raised Eggs
- 1/2 C. Unsweetened Dairy Free Milk (I used almond milk)
- 1/4 C. Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 tsp EACH of Garlic Powder & Onion Powder
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 9x9 or 9x13 baking dish with oil. Set aside. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Slice the ends off of the sweet potatoes and peel the potatoes. Using a mandoline slicer, slice your potatoes into 1/8-1/4 inch slices (can also use a sharp knife). Add potato slices to a bowl. Drizzle the melted coconut oil over them and sprinkle in some sea salt and pepper. Toss the potato slices until fully coated with the oil.
- Place potato slices onto a lined baking sheet and bake for 15-18 minutes, flipping halfway through baking. Some may cook faster than others so keep an eye on them. You want them to be soft, not crispy (like chips).
- Add your bacon to a skillet over medium heat and cook until done. Set bacon aside and allow to cool. Keep the bacon grease in the skillet.
- Now, add your chopped onion and bell pepper to the skillet and cook until slightly soft. Then, add your sausage and cook until browned.
- Add the chopped kale to the skillet and cover with a lid to wilt. Once wilted, remove skillet from the burner and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the eggs, dairy free milk, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, onion powder, sea salt, and pepper (to taste). Whisk until fully combined.
- To assemble the casserole, add 1/2 of your sweet potatoes to the bottom of the dish, layering them. Then, add 1/2 of the sausage mixture overtop. Repeat this step adding the last 1/2 of the sweet potatoes followed by another layer of sausage mixture. Pour the egg mixture evenly over the casserole. Crumble your bacon into pieces and sprinkle over top.
- Bake casserole for 35-40 or until eggs are set. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving. ENJOY!
- For the breakfast sausage, try to get sausage from pasture-raised pigs. You can also get pastured ground pork and then add your own spices (i.e. garlic, onion powder, paprika, etc.).
- If you're on a keto diet and will be eliminating the sweet potatoes, feel free to use 1 lb of sausage instead of 1/2 lb.
Items Used or Seen in this Recipe Video…
The items below include any items used in this recipe video, including: kitchen utensils, photography props, clothes I’m wearing, and camera equipment used.