A Special Smoothie Blend for Those with Digestive Issues...
*Get smoothie recipe in the video above or scroll to end of this post.
Today’s smoothie contains two special ingredients that are sure to help heal your gut and digestive system. Believe me when I say, “I know ALLLL about digestive issues.” Just read my About Me page to learn about my health journey.
But, one of these “special” ingredients also has a side benefit of weight loss. Keep reading to learn more about that…
If you have any of the following digestive issues, diseases, or symptoms, you could benefit from adding these two ingredients to your daily routine:
- Leaky Gut
- an Autoimmune Disease
- Digestive Issues
- Brain Fog
- Stomach Ulcers
- Sluggish Metabolism
- Cravings for Sugar and/or Alcohol
So, what are these two “special” ingredients?
L-glutamine is an amino acid that plays many important roles in the body with one of those being its ability to decrease intestinal permeability; in other words, because L-Glutamine is a major fuel source for cells in the small intestine, including more of this amazing amino acid into your diet will help to rebuild and strengthen your intestinal lining and, as a result, heal your leaky gut (and many other digestive issues).
And, since 70% of your immune system is in your gut/digestive tract, making it stronger with L-Glutamine will not only benefit you with your digestive issues, but it’ll also benefit your overall health (including brain health, brain fog, fatigue, ulcers, etc.).
Does L-Glutamine Reduce Cravings & Help with Weight Loss?
Short Answer: Maybe & Maybe.
It’s a widely known opinion among the health community that L-Glutamine helps to curb cravings for carbs, sugar, and alcohol; however, to say there’s hard science to back it up would be a lie. As far as I know, there aren’t any studies showing proof. The only proof I have is my personal experience and the testimonies from others.
Now, having said that, I will tell you that in my personal experience, it does stop cravings, especially for sugar & carbs. Here’s my theory as to why it does…
- Glutamine gets converted into glucose very quickly (fact). Therefore, your body still gets the energy it needs but without eating ‘actual’ carbs and/or sugars. Once it gets what it needs, the cravings go away leaving you with a slim waist and no sugar crash.
- Protein, in general, helps to reduce cravings. So, by taking a highly absorbable form of protein, your cravings are likely to go away
Personally, I think it’s a little bit of both. But, ultimately, you’ll want to try it for yourself to come to your own conclusions.
What Type of Glutamine & How Much?
- It’s best to use a High Quality Free Form Powder instead of a capsule. The powder easily absorbs in water and is pretty much tasteless.
- I can’t prescribe any certain amount but most people find best results with 2-5 grams per day. No more than 10 grams per day unless prescribed by a medical professional.
Other Benefits of L-Glutamine Besides Digestive Health & Reducing Cravings:
- Great for Muscle Recovery & Muscle Growth
- Boosts Metabolism
- Detoxifies the Body of Ammonia
- Can Improve Diabetes & Blood Sugar
- Aids in Memory & Focus (many claim it’s great for ADHD)
- Some even use it to help with the side effects of chemotherapy…
2.) 100% Grass-fed Collagen Protein
Collagen, also known as Hydrolyzed Collagen, is basically the ‘cooked’ form of gelatin. The difference is that hydrolyzed collagen is brought to a higher temperature during processing in order to break down the molecular weight making it easier to digest (which is great for those with digestive issues).
Why You Should Eat More Collagen if You Have Digestive Issues…
As Dr. Axe explains very clearly:
Collagen will help break down proteins and soothe your gut’s lining, healing damaged cell walls and infusing it with healing amino acids. It will also help absorb water, keeping things moving freely in the digestive tract.
Choosing a High Quality Collagen Powder is KEY in order to reap the benefits… The ONLY two brands I trust…
Other Reasons to Include Collagen in your Daily Diet…
- Great for your skin! As we age, our collagen production slows down drastically – wrinkles, less elasticity, saggy skin, etc. Instead of spending hundreds of $$$ on creams and lotions (even though a natural cream is a great addition), you should always focus on healing your skin from the inside first. And, a high quality 100% grass-fed or pasture-raised collagen powder is great for that!
- Promotes healthy joints! A clinical study performed on various populations for a period of 30-90 days demonstrated positive effects on knee joint comfort with a dose of only 10g of collagen per day.
- Improves bone strength! Several studies show that a daily intake of 10g of collagen for 4 to 24 weeks may increase bone mass density.
- Reduce cellulite & stretch marks! As your skin becomes thinner (due to a decrease in collagen), your cellulite and stretch marks become more visible. By eating more collagen, you’re improving your skin’s elasticity and, as a result, the visibility of cellulite and stretch will also be reduced.
A Smoothie Recipe That’ll Make You Feel & Look Your Best…
The smoothie recipe below combines healthy fats and greens with the two ingredients above to optimize absorption and their effectiveness. Feel free to add water and/or ice to the recipe if the consistency is too thick for your liking. Otherwise, ENJOY!!
- 3-4 Romaine Leaves
- 1/2 of a Medium Avocado
- 1/4 Cup of Full Fat Coconut Milk
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 - 1 Tbsp Raw Honey or Xylitol
- 1 tsp L-Glutamine Powder
- 1 Scoop of Collagen Powder
- 1 Cup of Water
Add all ingredients to a high speed blender and blend until smooth.
Feel free to add more water and ice if the consistency is too thick. Also, full fat coconut milk is the kind that comes in the can. If you can't find it, feel free to substitute with regular coconut milk (the kind in the carton) or almond milk.