Why I love this recipe…
There are tons of gluten free breads out there that are absolutely delicious – I admit – but very few of them (if any) can claim to have only 4g of carbs for the entire loaf of bread!
This bread recipe is from The Ketogenic Cookbook which, by the way, is an awesome cookbook if you’re looking for more low carb recipes like this.
I don’t adhere to a 100% Low Carb diet, but I do like to incorporate low carb recipes into my diet.
Better than I expected…
One of the main things I love about this bread recipe (other than the really low carb content) is that it’s light, flexible, fluffy, spongy, bendable – and it doesn’t fall apart when you eat it – if you’re familiar with gluten free breads, this is like music to your ears 😉
So, yes, I’m pretty excited about discovering this recipe & wanted to share the good news with you – thanks Ketogenic Cookbook!
Watch me make this recipe below…
Get Creative with it…
While I am forever grateful for this recipe, in the future, I’ll probably be doing different variations of it. For instance, as you’ll see in this recipe, I added in 1/4 tsp of sea salt to give it more flavor while the original recipe does not include salt.
Next time, I think I’ll add in some xylitol for a dab of sweetness. After that, I’m thinking I’ll play around with some herbs for more of an herbal bread recipe. Another idea is, of course, adding in some ground flax or chia seeds to increase the fiber content.
All of these options will still keep this recipe low carb while adding more flavors and health benefits. Get creative and make it your own!
Products I Used for this Recipe:
High Quality Whey Protein Powder – HERE
Cuisinart Electric Hand Mixer – HERE
Whisk Insert I Used on the Mixer (I used 2 of these) – HERE
- 6 Organic Pasture-Raised Eggs
- 1/2 C. Grass-fed Whey Protein Powder (Soy Protein Powder works good too if you're allergic to whey)
- 1/4 tsp Celtic Sea Salt or Himalayan Salt
- Coconut Oil (for greasing pan)
- The Whey Protein Powder I Use: http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-7382990-12540722
- Separate the egg whites from the egg yolks. Put egg whites in a large bowl for mixing while saving the egg yolks in a small bowl to the side for later. Do not let any of the yolks get into the egg white mixture.
- With a hand mixer, mix the egg whites for 5-6 minutes or until they form a whipped cream like texture (as seen in recipe video above).
- Add the Whey Protein, Egg Yolks, and Salt to the egg white mixture and mix gently until well blended. I suggest using a fork or whisk to mix by hand so you don't lose the fluffiness texture.
- Grease your loaf pan with coconut oil & pour the bread mixture into the pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes or until thoroughly done.
- Let cool before serving.
- The bread will rise pretty high while cooking. After it cools, it will deflate. This is normal. Let bread cool IN the pan.